Aug 24, 2008

small victories

I want to thank all of you first, who have been logging in lots of prayers for Cameran and I on the potty front. They are being heard and I think God is having pity on me. LOL. I think I have finally flipped a switch in Cam's brain. I was desperate on Thursday because she was regressing again. She'd already peed on the floor in her playhouse twice in two days, and I was getting really frustrated. She gets lots of performance anxiety, so she was backing away from the potty. I put her little potty in her playhouse, right were she had peed on the floor. Perhaps that was a place she felt safe, and not so anxious. So she sat on the potty, and sat, and sat, and sat. I tried everything I could think of to help her to not be scared, and to remember how easy it was the times in the past several days she had gone potty successfully. I recently checked out this video at the library, called "potty power." I really was going to try ANYTHING I could. She loves the video! Sometimes we watch it 3 times in a row, and she'll sit on the potty the whole time. It really hypes up every single aspect of using the potty, from sitting on the potty, to flushing, to washing hands, etc. This is really good because it's hyping her up for all things potty. So anyway, there we were, and I was just pulling things out of the air. Finally I said, "You know what is exciting to me about the potty?" she said what...I said, "putting your pee pee from your potty into the big potty and flushing!" Crazy enough that got her really excited. Then we talked about all the other things. I told her that she could put a sticker on the calendar for the times she goes potty. That seemed to really excite her. Which in the past has not excited her at all. The more stickers we've put the more she's loved it. And then I remembered something we had that she loves...and it seemed to be the clincher....tattoos. Every time that she goes pee pee in the potty, she gets a sticker on the calendar, a tattoo anywhere she wants, and a toy from the potty bag. It may be too much, but it's working! The funny thing is that she's starting to resemble Kat Von D. LOL. She's gone pee pee in the potty twice a day everyday for the last 4 days! And today she went 3 times.

Today had a lot of great potty moments. Today we ate lunch outside on the front lawn. She looked at me and said, "I need to go potty mommy." We came inside, she sat down on the potty, and dun dun dun...the little musical sound went off and she got a huge smile and that was it. So easy. No fuss. Tonight she would not go on her little potty. We sat there for a good 20 minutes. I had to get tough. No milk, no pull up for bedtime, until she went potty. She knew that I would hold true to my word. We went upstairs, put our jammies on, and she said she wanted to go potty on the big potty. She sat down and several seconds later she was going potty in the big potty! That is HUGE! She has never ever gone potty in the big potty for me or for Brad. So thanks for all your prayers for us. I think she is finally having the light bulb moments and deciding that wearing dry panties, and not having to be changed, is so much better, so much more comfortable, and so much easier than her diapees ever were. Mommy has decided that maybe I'm not as big of a failure as I felt like.

No comments: