

Today, I read an article regarding why mothers become the less fashionable counterparts of their former fabulous selves. I could definitely identify with the article and began asking myself, "Self, why have you become so hum drum?" As a former fashion student (yes I have 2 degrees in fashion related areas), I used to live for all things fashion. Getting dressed every day for work was fun and inspiring, and at times a little stressful. Cut to now, and you'd never believe that I once had some style. What happened? Where did I lose my way? More importantly, can I ever get back, or am I destined for "Mom jeans" and a bad haircut and pasty skin? Will I be that woman that people look at and cringe and think, "I bet she used to be cute and stylish before she had kids?"
Here are the top reasons I think I'm headed down the chute to the land of hum drum Mum.
1. Lack of time
Seriously, I have roughly 6 hours every day to get things done around the house before I have to pick up the Petite at school. Factor in two 45 minute - 1 hr feedings for the Bean and we are down to 4 hours. These four hours are spent rushing around the house trying to wash/fold/put away laundry, pick up the house, burp/soothe/change/wash baby, and hit the grocery store or run other errands. What it comes down to is that I usually have 30 minutes to shower, get dressed, put on some makeup, and figure out what to do with my hair. It takes 10-20 minutes just to dry my hair. Based upon all that, I usually end up with a 5 minute shower, no make up, and hair in a clip or ponytail before I RUSH off to carpool, praying I'm not so far back in line that I'm the last car for pick up. Some days I don't even wash my hair, yet it still incurs the same fate of clip or ponytail.
2. Lack of income
It was easy to keep up with the trends when I was gainfully employed. Let's not forget to mention that I worked for a retail company and could buy things at the employee store for a steal, and at the very least use my retail discount. I had a reason to look hip. Transitioning onto one salary has diminished the clothing budget. I love being a SAH Mom, and I don't often look back, because the time with my children is immeasurable. I'd be crazy to say I didn't miss the free accessories I managed to score, once upon a time.
Lack of income also means no weekly mani/pedi, and less waxing maintenance. I am now my own nail tech and in charge of taming my insane eyebrows. Finding a window of uninterrupted time to actually paint my nails nicely, and let them dry without possible smudges is almost a dream. When faced with the choice late at night to paint or sleep, I have to err on the side of sleep. Most days in carpool, you can find me plucking away the strays and trying to maintain some sense of eyebrow shape.
3. Just not sensible
Let's face it, 4" heels and cute dresses just aren't practical for keeping up with an active 5 year old, a 3 month old, and two dogs who manage to create more chaos than a black friday sale at Wal-mart. My heels still hang on the shoe rack on my closet door, staring at me everyday, in hopes that I might get a wild hair and put them on. Why, after 3 years, have I not moved them or given them away? I think because they are my last tie to my former fashionable self. Oh patent leather peep toe shoes, how I love you. They are old friends who share many a good story. I wore them every day, in every type of weather, and they went with everything. These days my footwear consists of two very broken in pairs of patent leather ballet flats, a pair of Dansko clogs, and some tennis shoes. Not what I would call ground-breaking style, but all are practical and comfortable.
I can now, at least, understand why some women let themselves go when they have children. I'm fighting like hell to stay relevant and hip in some way. I refuse to become totally plain and dowdy, though I feel that way more often than not. The next time you see me, please don't judge that I might have spit up on my shirt and my wet hair in a bun. At least I made it to the shower and put on something other than sweatpants. Someday I'll figure out how to be as stylish a mother as Victoria Beckham, again.
2 comments:
Well said. I can totally relate. I even pluck my eyebrows in the carpool lane too! (it's where I get the best lighting) Just remember Victoria Beckham probably has a personal shopper, nanny, personal trainer, and a never-ending supply of money.
Your writing looks like my own dairy, if I had time to drop any lines.
I miss my skirts and heels. I was crazy for my heels, most of them are at least 4 inches. I haven't put them away, and you know what, I am still buying... I wear some of those 3 inches ones when I don't have to run with those hyperactive 4 and 3 year old boys. Like when I send them to school or picking them up without any other activities. Some times I put those 4 inches on at home late night for self comfort.. how silly..
I cut my hair myself as I don't think I can maintain any shape my hair stylist leaves me. Don't wanna waste money on nothing. Nails? same as you, no time for drying and may cry when ruin after housework. Keep only a few pieces of clothes and jeans that cycle through Mon to Sun..
Hope that I can be attractive again before it is too late.. before my face and body lost their shapes..
Stephanie
Post a Comment