Jan 11, 2011

G-O-A-L-S!!

I have reached the quiet time in the day when everyone is in bed, and I probably should be too. However, I've been trying to get this particular blog entry written for over a week now. So, I'm going to take the time to knock it out. Besides, I tend to do my best thinking when the day is done and all is silent and restful around my house. Hear that? Exactly! The silence in GOLDEN.

I've really been thinking about what I want to focus on this year. Last year I had 9 goals, and did fairly well. This year I want to pare it down a bit and really focus on a few things. Without further ado...

2011 Goals

1. PURGE!
No, not food. I'm speaking about purging belongings, emotions, and all things that weigh me down. Do I really need all this stuff that seems to be cluttering up my house?! The simple answer to that is NO. I plan to go room by room and purge what isn't necessary. There are so many people and places that can really use what just sits around my house. Old emotions and emotional baggage need to go too. Things I've been holding onto that do me no good and keep me stuck in pits. This also includes relationships that are not constructive or positive.

Matthew 6:19-21 tells us not to store up earthly treasures, where moth and rust destroy it, or thieves steal it, but rather store up our treasures in heaven, where they will not be destroyed or stolen. For where our treasure is, there our heart will be also.

2. GET OUT OF DEBT
Sort of goes along with my first goal. Purge that debt. We get closer and closer every month to being completely debt free. This is the year it will happen!

Romans 13:8
Owe no one anything except to love one another.

3. TITHE EVERY MONTH
When times are tough financially it's hard to give what you feel you don't already have. I know better. I know that God is faithful. He will replenish what we joyfully and cheerfully give. I have to remember this. We will faithfully give back to God what he has faithfully provided to us. After all, what is ours is really His. I love this video and it's a great reminder that all we have is only on loan to us. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upmyrinWq64

2 Corinthians 9:7
Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.

4. REBUILD MY SELF ESTEEM
I have battled low self esteem the past year. I'm not sure why, but it was at an all time low. This is the first time in a very very long time that I've not felt any worth. I know that God sees my worth, I just need to realize it.

Ephesians 2:10
For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

5. SPEAK WITH A GENTLE TONGUE
It may sound strange, but Michelle Duggar is a role model for me in some ways. Do I want 19 children, no? However, she is one of those mothers that I wish I could be, who speaks to her children with a gentle tone and gentle words, yet still gets results. I come from two FABULOUS parents...with a propensity for yelling and harsh tones. Unfortunately, being critical runs in my family blood, and I hear it come out of my mouth too often. My natural reaction when frustrated is to turn up the volume. While I am not one to be passive aggressive, I do have the ability to be demanding and critical. All things I want to eliminate, especially towards my children. I want them to learn to speak gently, because that is what they learn at home.

Proverbs 15:1
A gentle answer turns away wrath,but a harsh word stirs up anger.

There we have it. 5 goals to living more Christ-like in the new year. Last, I leave you with my scripture theme for the year. Thank you Andy Dalton for the inspiration!

1 Peter 5:6-7
Humble yourselves, therefor, under God's mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on Him because he cares for you.

2 comments:

Gjovigs said...

Crystal,
that's awesome... I have a list of goals this year too! (which I normally don't- but maybe one each year.. but this year was a solid list). Good luck with getting debt free. Kenji and I took the Dave Ramsey class and decided that would be our goal last year to be debt free- and did it. The relief of not oweing anyone is incredabe. I can't wait for you to have that burden lifted!!
One of the new rules we have in our home is not yelling. It's coming slowly, but as Kenji and I model that- it gets easier for the kiddos I think.
Great goals, your an inspiration!!! Bonnie
Anyhow, love all the ideas you have. I often go through rooms and purge stuff too! It makes a difference...

Crystal said...

Thank you Bonnie! We've been doing the Dave Ramsey thing for a couple of years now. We've slowly made great progress. This year we should be able to finally finish what we started 3 years ago. I cannot wait!
Re: no yelling, how do you enforce it with your kiddos? All the punishments that used to work aren't working anymore. I definitely need some new tricks in my bag. Mostly, Brad and I need to stop yelling when we get frustrated with Cam.