Apr 23, 2008

Endoscopy: Otherwise known as "Where'd the day go?"

It's always good to start the morning off with a sick child. So much for good sleep before my procedure. Cammi was up last night at 3:30 because she couldn't breath. We've all been suffering terrible allergies. Brad and Cam have sinus infections, and I have been lucky enough to avoid it. After some late night wheezing and throwing up (Cam,not me) we laid her between us with a bottle of milk and off we slept for another hour until Brad and I cracked up at the noises coming from Cam's nose. Off to her bed we took her, and another hour of sleep until the alarm blared into our ears. Joint grumbles were heard from both of us, and both the dogs.

Eventually I managed to roll myself out of bed and brushed my teeth and hair, put on some pants and socks and schlepped myself out to the car. I was instructed to go to the wrong building so we got to the actual office a little late. Man, they really cracked the whip when we got there and i had 5 minutes to fill out all 100 forms before the procedure. Then I was whisked off to the OR. My nurse Ann was very kind. We have the same birthday and wished each other a happy upcoming birthday. One IV later and off I rolled to the OR. Greetings from Dr. Oomen and a shot of some sedative...rolling to my left was the last thing I remembered. The next thing I knew there was Brad's face hazily coming into view. The recover nurse, Kathy, pretty much threw me into a chair after that and parked me by the desk to go outside. I remember having some apple juice and trying to look at the new InStyle while I waited...but I kept falling asleep every page. You know, sort of that head bob you get when you fall asleep in class in college. The next time I opened my eyes the tech was bombing me down the hallway at what I swear was the qualifying speed for NASCAR. Seriously buddy, I'm sedated so bad that the objects going past me are nothing but a blur. This was about the time I started singing
The Ramones..."Twenty twenty twenty four hours to go, I wanna be sedated Nothing to do, nowhere to go, I wanna be sedated Just put me in a wheelchair, get me to the show Hurry hurry hurry before I go loco I can't control my fingers, I can't control my toes, oh no oh oh ho" Hilarity ensued within my own brain. I was convinced that when we came to a stop that I would just shoot head first into the car like in the cartoons. I don't remember much of the ride home except i made brad have the windows down and he said my hair was blowing everywhere and i had my head half out the window like a dog. I remember stopping at the store. I made brad park by the grass cause i was convinced i was going to throw up. The next thing i remember is being home in bed. No idea how i got upstairs or in the bed. I just remember waking up with a half eaten cracker in my left hand.

Brad has filled in some humorous moments for me. I have no memory of how i got dressed at the hospital. Brad said i nearly busted myself 2x. He said I gave the nurse a dirty look when she was taking off all my sticky monitors and taking out my IV. I seriously do not remember ANY of that. He said I was signing again. I remember that after my colonoscopy because i couldn't talk from the sedative. I just don't remember it this time. He said I as giving them the finer points of American Sign Language. Good to know that all that work I did with Cam came in handy later for myself. I asked him if I walked myself up the stairs at home. He said yes. He said he laughed at me with the half eaten cracker in my hand but didn't bother to take it out b/c I might need it later.

I've been in and out of sedation all day and still don't feel 100%. My stomach has been cramping quite a bit and my back...which i am not sure is normal, but I'm just going with it. And I've been nauseous, which has been frustrating because i am very hungry. Thanks to my friend, Leiann, who was gracious enough to bring us some dinner, despite her own busy life. Thank you Lei! It was delicious!

I'm fading again. Goodnight!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How r u feeling today and do you have saltines and sprite?